I had every confidence that my close friend Jason Shawver had been smoking something, but not necessarily bologna, if you know what I mean.
But when he gave me a sample to try, I was blown away by how delicious it was.
Even though I had always enjoyed bologna, this was by far the best I had ever eaten.
As a result, I invited him to come show us how to smoke bologna like the master of the grill he is.
BBQ Bologna Recipe or “Mississippi Prime Rib” – HowToBBQRight.com
Smoked Bologna 🔗
Let go of your childhood ideas of bologna and get ready for a fun and flavorful smoky twist with this smoked bologna recipe.
Serving Size: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: calories 582 kcal, Carbohydrate 22 g, Protein 27 g, Fat 43 g, Saturated Fat 16 g, Trans Fat 0.001 g, Cholesterol 102 mg, Sodium 1905 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 14 g, unSaturated Fat 20 g, servingSize 1 serving
- 3 pounds whole bologna chub
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub (link in recipe notes)
- ½ cup Everything BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- Preheat. Turn on your smoker and allow it to preheat to 225 degrees F. I like hickory or apple wood for this recipe.
- Prep. Remove any exterior packaging or red wax from the outside of the bologna.
- Score. Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the bologna about 1/8th of an inch thick in a diamond pattern on all sides of the bologna.
- Season. Slather the bologna chub with yellow mustard and then sprinkle on all sides with the Sweet Rub, opening the slits slightly with your fingers to get the seasoning into the cuts you just made.
- Smoke. Place the seasoned bologna on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for at least 3 to 4 hours. Bologna is pre-cooked, so heat the bologna to around 145 degrees F until the color on the outside of the bologna is to your liking.
- Sauce. During the last 30 minutes, brush on all sides with Everything BBQ sauce.
- Serve. Slice warm into small cubes and serve as an appetizer or chill completely and slice as thin or thick as you like for smoked bologna sandwiches.
What sauce is good on bologna?
Here are some of the most popular sauces for lunch meat sandwiches: mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, miracle whip, chipotle ranch dressing, and flavored mayonnaise.
What does bologna taste good with?
Like the traditional lunchbox bologna sandwich, it’s typically served on slices of white bread and most recipes call for combining ground ring bologna with mayonnaise and pickle relish.
What can I add to bologna?
To prevent the bologna from curling up in the skillet, cut a 1-inch X in the center of each piece and place it there. Wipe the skillet with a stick of butter until it is lightly greased. Add the bologna and fry for a few minutes until browned.