Few steaks are bigger or badder than the Tomahawk ribeye, and Traeger Pro Team Member Matt Pittman knows how to do it best. He shares some of his tips and tricks in this how-to guide. Make dinner epic with the perfect reverse seared Tomahawk. Trying out our tips on your Traeger? Share your Tomahawk photos on social media with #TraegerGrills.
Tomahawk Ribeye Steak – Reverse Seared Tomahawk On A Pellet Grill
Reverse Seared Tomahawk Steak 🔗
- 1 – tomahawk steak (2 1/2 to 3-inch steak)
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- > – hickory or competition blend wood pellets
- 2 – tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 – tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 – tablespoon black pepper
- 1 – teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 – teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 – teaspoon onion powder
How do you smoke a tomahawk steak on a pellet smoker?
Tomahawk steak should be prepared and salted for smoking. It should be smoked at 225 degrees F for about two hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 115 to 120 degrees F. Once the steak is done, it should be reverse seared or reverse grilled.
How long does it take to cook a tomahawk steak at 225?
Use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak at 225°F every 45 to 60 minutes until it reaches 115°F. Transfer the steak from the smoker to a large platter and preheat a cast iron grill pan over high heat.
How long does it take to cook a tomahawk steak on a smoker?
Place steak on smoker and cook for about 2 hours, turning once halfway through, or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (medium rare).