Get your grill on with this easy BBQ Tri Tip Recipe, which is our favorite way to grill this cut of meat. It’s delicious and a quick weeknight meal. WOW your family and make the best steak.
- Preheat your grill. Fire up your charcoal grill or gas grill to 350 degrees F for two-zone grilling.
- Season the tri tip. …
- Make the mopping liquid. …
- Grill over indirect heat. …
- Sear the roast. …
- Rest and serve.
The Perfect Tri Tip Recipe! | Reverse Seared Tri Tip | Ballistic BBQ
BBQ Tri Tip Recipe 🔗
Easy step by step instructions to cook a tri tip on the grill. This method will ensure juicy, tender beef every time!
Serving Size: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: calories 488 kcal, Carbohydrate 21 g, Protein 47 g, Fat 22 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 147 mg, Sodium 610 mg, Sugar 15 g, servingSize 1 serving
- 1 3 lb. tri-tip roast
- 1/4 cup dry rub (this is my recipe, but use your favorite!)
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Rub the tri tip roast with olive oil and sprinkle with rub, making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for an hour for the meat to absorb the flavor.
- Heat the grill to high heat. Insert the probe in the thickest part of the meat.
- Grill on side one for 3 minutes (fat side down first), flip grill on side two. Low the gas and reduce the grill heat to medium-low. This is give it a great crust. The temperature of your grill should be 275-325.
- Grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of registers to your preferred doneness. Flipping occasionally. Right before removing from the grill baste both sides with bbq sauce.
- Remove from grill, rest on platter tented with foil to keep the meat warm. Slice thinly against the grain of the meat. Serve with additional bbq sauce to pass. Enjoy!
How do you cook a tri-tip on a propane grill?
It only takes about 5 minutes on each side, depending on the size of your tri-tip, to sear the tri-tip on one side and cook the other. Place the tri-tip on a preheated grill (a medium heat of around 350-400 over direct flame is just right), then leave it alone.
How long does a 3lb tri-tip take on the grill?
Rest at room temperature while the grill is heated to approximately 350°. Place the tri-tip, fat side down, over indirect heat and close the lid. Cook for about 25 minutes and check the internal temperature using a digital thermometer in the thickest part.
What temperature do you cook tri-tip on a gas grill?
Cook the tri-tip on the grill as follows: 1. Preheat the gas grill to 500 degrees to get a good crusty sear on the meat. 2. Cook the tri-tip for about four to five minutes on each side to achieve this. 3. Reduce the heat to about 400 degrees, and cook each side for an additional eight to ten minutes. 4.