I love pairing this smoked mac and cheese pasta with a good burger. Let’s boil some water and roll some smoke. How to smoke a creamy, cheesy, and bacon….y mac and cheese. Let’s be honest, this dish goes well with EVERYTHING.
Smoked Mac and Cheese on the Pellet Grill
Traeger Smoked Mac and Cheese 🔗
This smoked macaroni and cheese has smoked cheese in it, and is finished off on your wood-fired grill! Just enough smoke to make it interesting.
Serving Size: 1
Nutrition Facts: calories 351 calories, Carbohydrate 21 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 65 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 23 grams fat, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 14 grams protein, Saturated Fat 13 grams saturated fat, servingSize 1, Sodium 481 milligrams sodium, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Trans Fat 1 grams trans fat, unSaturated Fat 7 grams unsaturated fat
- 1 pound penne or similar noodles
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 3 cups shredded cheese like cheddar or colby jack
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the pellet grill or smoker to 225°.
- Place the noodles, water, salt, butter, and mustard powder in a medim to large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Let simmer until the pasta is tender. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the milk, cayenne, and 3 cups shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and combined.
- Grease a grill-safe baking dish and place the mac and cheese inside. Top with the bread crumbs, cornflake crumbs, and the additional cup of cheese.
- Place the dish into the smoker and smoke for 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese is melty on top and it is starting to get brown on top.
What is the best wood to smoke mac and cheese?
Use a mild wood, I suggest cherry, apple, maple or pecan, anything over 225 degrees F will overcook your noodles and make your mac and cheese dry.
How long does it take to smoke mac and cheese pit boss?
Macaroni and cheese should be smoked for 25 minutes on the smoke cycle of your Pit Boss Grill before being removed, topped with green onions if desired, and served.
What does adding egg do to mac and cheese?
I have tried this recipe with and without the egg and it does affect the texture of the final recipe. In a medium bowl, beat one egg. Warm the egg by drizzling in, very slowly, 2-3 Tablespoons of the thickened milk mixture. The egg will make the mac and cheese smoother and creamier.
What seasoning makes mac and cheese better?
Italian herbs generally go well with cheese and pasta so it makes sense to incorporate them to mac and cheese. Oregano, basil, and marjoram are excellent additions to your traditional mac and cheese recipe.