What tops The Pioneer Woman’s best recipe list is undoubtedly breakfast, from buttery homemade biscuits to crunchy cinnamon sugar french toast. If you want to pretend that you’re on the ranch with the Food Network star herself, keep reading to find 15 of the most delectable breakfast recipes she’s shared, and then make them for yourself.
Ree Drummond makes a French toast recipe that takes the classic breakfast favorite to new levels.
star draws inspiration from s’mores for the dish — and she doesn’t skimp on sweet toppings.
Ree Drummond Makes Toast Versions Of The Chicken Pot Pie And French Onion Soup! | The Pioneer Woman
Baked French Toast 🔗
This heavenly baked French toast casserole topped with syrup and blueberries is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- Butter, for greasing
- 1 loaf crusty sourdough or French bread
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Warm syrup, for serving
- Butter, for serving
- 1 c. fresh blueberries, for serving
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
- For the French toast: Grease the baking pan with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (overnight preferably). Or you can make it and bake it right away—delicious no matter what!
- For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and some nutmeg in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter to mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the casserole from the fridge and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or for 1 hour-plus or more for a firmer, crisper texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with butter, drizzle with warm pancake syrup, and sprinkle with blueberries.
Is French toast a good breakfast?
French toast is high in carbs, but you can make a French toast recipe healthy by using whole wheat or high-fiber bread. French toast is definitely healthier than pancakes, as well as some other breakfast options.
What is the ratio of eggs to milk for French toast?
According to a general rule of thumb, each two-slice serving requires about 1/4 cup of milk and one egg; if you want to avoid the “scrambled” taste, use only the yolks of some or all of the eggs.
What’s the best way to eat French toast?
With each bite, the crisp, almost brittle crust gives way to a tender, soft-as-a-pillow interior, subtly flavored with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and fragrant notes of vanilla. You can top your French toast with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or perhaps a drizzle of warm maple syrup.
Why do you add eggs to French toast?
Eggs are excellent at doing this because they add fat for richness and don’t “hide” flavors, and because the proteins in eggs solidify when heated, firming up the liquids in the bread.