Even the best grilled cheese makers may struggle to create that picture perfect, diner-style grilled cheese with edge to edge golden bread and perfectly melted cheese. A grilled cheese is an easy two ingredient (well, three if you include butter) recipe that has been perfected by many home cooks.
Other than knowing the ideal grilled cheese is air fried for 8 minutes at 370 degrees F, the rest of your sandwich creation is in your hands. The convection provided by the air fryer displaces the heat throughout the entire sandwich, creating a crispy exterior and a perfectly gooey interior.
Choose any bread or cheese you’d like – white bread with cheddar and/or American, or something like a rye and Havarti combo. Toppings also work great, but my personal favorite is how my local diner did it growing up: two thick slices of tomato topped with two slices of crispy bacon. Salted butter can add a layer of richness that is hard to pass up.
If you’ve tried this recipe, let us know how it turned out in the comments section below.
Justin Sullivan is the Assistant Food Editor for Delish, where he helps test, develop, and (of course) taste recipes like one-pot meals, simple desserts, and everything in between. Justin is from New Jersey, and when he’s not preparing and testing hundreds of Delish recipes, he travels the world as the world’s foremost chinese food expert.
- Lay cheese in between bread. Butter outside of bread with butter. …
- Air Fry at 360°F for about 3-5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Flip the sandwich and increase heat to 380°F to finish and crisp the bread. …
- Make sure to remove the tooth pics before eating!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese 🔗
The convection powers of the air fryer are the surprisingly perfect way to make a crispy, gooey grilled cheese.
- 2 slices bread such as white, sourdough or wheat
- 2 tsp. mayonnaise or softened salted butter, divided
- 4 slices melty cheese such as American, Cheddar or Colby Jack
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mayo on one side of each piece of bread, edge to edge. Build a sandwich by placing cheese in between the two pieces of bread, mayo side out.
- Place a piece of parchment that is slightly larger than the sandwich in the air fryer basket. Place the sandwich on the parchment.
- Set the air fryer to 370°, and cook for 8 minutes, flipping once, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and toasted. Slice and serve.
Can you melt cheese in an air fryer?
If you really want to satisfy your cheese craving with the air fryer, you just need to choose the right recipes. Because most cheeses have a low melting point, the cheese will start to melt in your air fryer before it can get crispy outside but soft inside.
Can you toast a grilled cheese in an air fryer?
Grilled cheese is best when eaten immediately, but it can be heated up again by toasting it once more in an air fryer at 350 degrees F.
How long do you leave grilled cheese in the air fryer?
DirectionsPreheat air fryer to 375°F for 5 minutes. Spread butter evenly on one side of all four slices of bread. Place two slices of bread, buttered side down, in air fryer. Cook for 7 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden and toasted all over.
Why can’t you put cheese in an air fryer?
Frozen mozzarella sticks are fine, but unfortunately fresh cheese is not, as it can quickly melt and burn in the high temperatures of an air fryer, resulting in a stringy mess.