As the name of the dish implies, grilled pork belly is a straightforward dish that you can prepare with pork. Pork belly is suggested for this recipe because it is ideal for grilling and has a sufficient amount of fat to keep the meat moist and flavorful.
No matter how good this Grilled Pork Belly tastes, try to control yourself and eat in moderation – I know, it is easier said than done, but just pretend that you tried – okay? Today, I won’t talk about being healthy because I’m assuming that we all know what is best for ourselves and that everything in moderation is acceptable.
The key here (aside from the tasty marinade) is how the meat is marinated. I think that sealing the meat and marinade in an air-tight bag helped the meat to get covered by the marinade completely which allowed quick absorption of flavors. The powdered spices also played a role in the process.
I like to eat grilled pork belly or inihaw na liempo with atcharang papaya (pickled papaya), and occasionally with cucumber salad or atcharang labanos (pickled daikon), in addition to rice.
You might occasionally have extra food; in this case, try making sinuglaw or even kilawing baboy (pork kilawin).
How to BBQ Pork Belly on the Grill | Recipe
Korean BBQ Grilled Pork Belly 🔗
Grilled Korean BBQ pork belly dipped in a savory sesame oil sauce made easily in the comfort of your own kitchen. This Korean recipe also known as samgyeopsal-gui is a classic BBQ dish and a real crowd pleaser.
Serving Size: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: calories 914 kcal, Carbohydrate 1 g, Protein 16 g, Fat 94 g, Saturated Fat 33 g, Cholesterol 122 mg, Sodium 273 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 1 g, unSaturated Fat 54 g, servingSize 1 serving
- 1 1/2 lb Pork Belly
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Neutral Cooking Oil (if pan frying)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Clove Garlic
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Cut pork belly into ~4 inch lengths and ~1/2 inch thickness and lay flat on cutting board. Sprinkle salt on both sides and set aside. Note – it’s easier to slice meat more precisely if semi-frozen.
- Finely chop green onion stalk and set aside.
- Finely mince 1/2 clove of garlic. Combine minced garlic with 1 tbsp Sesame Oil, 1/8 tsp black pepper and salt per serving of dipping sauce.
- A) If pan frying, add 1 tbsp of Netural Cooking Oil to a large Teflon frying pan and bring up to temperature on high, should take around 1-2 minutes. Once up to temp, reduce to medium heat, transfer pork belly and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with sesame dipping sauce from step 4). B) Preheat grill on high until temp reaches ~350Once the grill is up to temp, lower heat to medium-low and place pork belly on the grill. Close lid and cook for ~2-3 minute until browned. Flip pork bellies and repeat. Once cooked, transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with sesame dipping sauce from step 4).
How long should you grill pork belly?
Close the grill lid and cook the pork belly for 3 minutes, then open it, carefully flip it over, brush the marinade on top, and close the lid. Repeat this process, flipping and basting the pork belly every 3 minutes, until it is fully cooked, which takes about 20 minutes.
How do you cook pork belly on a gas grill?
Reduce heat to medium (350° to 450°F/180° to 230°C) and continue grilling the pork belly over medium heat with the lid closed until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the belly registers 160°F, or for about 30 minutes.
How do you tenderize pork belly before grilling?
Pork belly has traditionally preferred slow-cooking techniques because they allow the fat to render into the meat over time, leaving the finished product moist and tender.