Read on to learn my technique for making sure the seasoning gets all the way to the fish’s bone and my insanely effective technique for making sure the fish stays moist after cooking. The great African oven-grilled tilapia is moist, spicy, and full of awesome flavors.
In my home country of Cameroon, women are frequently seen laying mackerel fish on crude grills by the side of the road, usually at night. As they dip their basting brushes into bowls of spice and rub the spices over the fish, smoke from the coal beneath the fish rises into the air.
This oven-grilled tilapia brings to mind the experience of eating grilled fish on the side of the road in my home country. It is a pure delight to inhale the fish’s smoky, spicy aroma, and it is even better when you get a chance to munch on one.
I make a really delicious green sauce to go with it, and the best part is that you can make all of this in your oven.
Been there, done that, so to make sure the fish doesn’t dry out, I first cover the fish with foil and let it cook, then I remove the foil and broil the fish to give it some color. You can watch the video to see how I do this. It’s so simple to grill fish in your oven and it turns out dry, so chewy, and so unappealing.
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400°. Season tilapia with salt and pepper and place on a small baking sheet.
- Step 2Mix together butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and zest then pour over tilapia. Place lemon rounds on top and around tilapia.
- Step 3Bake tilapia until fork-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
The BEST Oven Grilled Tilapia Fish Recipe in 10mins
Easy Oven Grilled Tilapia 🔗
Easy Oven Grilled Tilapia: Tilapia can be cooked in various ways including frying, steaming, stir-frying and even more but grilling is a healthy and time efficient way to prepare Tilapia.
Serving Size: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: calories 53 kcal, Carbohydrate 5 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Sodium 2 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 1 g, servingSize 1 serving
- 1 Tilapia Fish (large )
- 1/2 Tsp Curry powder
- 2 Sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 Scotch Bonnet
- 1 Onion (Small )
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Root
- 2-1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- 1 African Nutmeg
- Remove the dirt from the fish and wash it with salt and water or lime and water and pat it dry with a paper towel then set it aside.
- To make the Marinade, combine all the ingredients together in a blender and blend till it becomes a smooth paste. Pour it inside a bowl and set it aside.
- Make about 3 deep cut or more on the fish depending on how big your fish is, then begin to brush the marinade over the fish, make sure you reach every corner baste every corner of the fish with the marinade including the deep cut.
- Cover up the fish and place it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or overnight. This will allow the Marinade to penetrate deep inside the Fish.
- Remove the Fish from the Fridge, uncover the foil paper then rub it again with some Marinade and place it in a 350°F preheated Oven for the first 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, flip it to the other side and rub it with some marinade again. Then leave it to cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes is complete, flip it to the first side again and rub it with the remaining marinade. Then leave it in the Oven for another 5 to 10 minutes depending on how brown you want the Fish to be.
What temp should tilapia be cooked at?
The fish should be placed over the oven rack and the rack should be placed on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil so that all the grease can drip there. Sprinkle some butter or vegetable oil over the fish, and then place it in the preheated oven using the grill function.
How long do you bake tilapia at 400?
Tilapia fillets should be placed in a 9×13-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Tilapia fillets should also be sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning. The pan should then be covered with foil and baked for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 degrees.
How do you grill tilapia without it sticking?
A small tilapia fillet will finish baking at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) in about 12 minutes; larger fillets will take about 15 minutes; and keep in mind that your fish is prepared and safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius).