When you’re ready to eat, simply brush the artichokes with olive oil, grill them for 5 minutes per side, and serve them with the delectable dipping sauce. These tender and smoky Grilled Artichokes with creamy garlicky lemon dipping sauce are a fantastic summer appetizer. Artichokes are trimmed, halved, and steamed beforehand to tenderize and rid them of thorns and chokes.
I adore artichokes, and it’s not just because of the flavor; it’s also because of the leisurely process of eating one, which involves picking off the leaves one at a time, dipping each one in butter or aioli, and savoring the tiny bits of buttery, nutty flesh while hoping to reach the heart, which is where the big, delicious prize is, at the end.
I enjoy artichokes no matter how they are prepared, but grilled artichokes are my favorite due to their smoky charred flavors and golden caramelized bits.
Fire-Grilled Artichokes – J. Alexander’s Holdings
GRILLED ARTICHOKES WITH AIOLI 🔗
Crispy artichokes with a lemon garlic aioli.
- 2 Large Artichokes
- 1 Lemon (cut into wedges)
- Olive Oil
- 5 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 4 Tsp Oregano (fresh, or dried)
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- Cut about 1" off the top of your artichoke, and cut the sharp tips off all the artichoke leaves with scissors. Have lemon wedges handy so that you can rub lemon all over the edges and cut parts of the artichoke, which helps to prevent browning.
- Cut the artichokes in half. Use a metal spoon to scoop out the fuzzy chokes and the small inner artichoke leaves. Rub lemon juice all over the inside and exposed cut areas of the artichokes.
- In a pot with a steamer; add 1" of water. Put it on high heat until the water begins to boil, and and then turn down to a medium heat.
- Place the artichokes cut side down, cover, and steam for 20-25 minutes. You will know they are done when you can pierce the heart easily with a knife because it's tender.
- While the artichokes are steaming; you can make your aioli. Combine the mayo, 1/2 of the lemon juiced, salt, and 1 tsp minced garlic til blended. Refrigerate.
- Prepare the grill with a high heat, aprox 400 degrees.
- Rub olive oil all over the artichoke halves. Then take your minced garlic and rub 1 tsp into the cut side of each artichoke. Top with fresh, or dried oregano, and kosher salt.
- Grill the artichokes on each side for 5 minutes and try to grill them on an angle, so that you get nice grill marks. Enjoy with the aioli!
How to prepare an artichoke?
The artichoke hearts should be coated with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper before being dumped onto a sheet pan and spread out into a single layer. The artichoke hearts should then roast in the oven for 20 minutes while the oven is preheated to 350 degrees F.
How long does it take to boil artichokes?
Bases of the artichokes should be easily pierced with a knife point, which should take 20 to 40 minutes. Place the artichokes base side down in the boiling water, reduce heat to simmer, and weight the tops of the artichokes with a dish or pot lid that fits into the pot to keep the artichokes submerged.
How long does it take to steam an artichoke?
The artichokes are ready when a knife is inserted into the base and meets no resistance; to eat, remove a leaf and scrape the meat off the tender end with your front teeth. Place the artichokes in the simmering liquid, bottom up, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.