Keep this quick recipe in your back pocket for an easy grilled dinner any night of the week. Take your sausage and peppers to the grill this summer. Our recipe combines juicy Italian sausage with charred peppers and onions for a dinner that’s filling for the whole family. When it comes to serving, you can either lay the whole meal out on a big platter (perfect for entertaining) or serve them up in toasted rolls for the ultimate summer sandwich.
You can give the entire meal an Italian twist by serving the sausage and peppers with pasta, Caesar salad, and grilled zucchini. Sausage and peppers taste great with almost any BBQ sides or even a bag of potato chips.
The sausage cooks slowly at a moderate temperature (allowing the centers to cook through), so there is no need to boil them before grilling.
Whether you cook the sausages on the grill or in a skillet, they only take 5 to 7 minutes per side to cook. You’ll know they’re done when the exterior is charred and the interior reaches 160 degrees.Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
This content is imported from OpenWeb; you may find the same content there in another format or you may find more information. If you don’t have a grill basket, a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil placed over the grill grates works well to keep the peppers and onions from falling through the grates.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. …
- While the grill is heating, core, and slice red and green peppers. …
- Place sausages on the hot grill pan. …
- Add peppers and onions to the grill pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes. …
- Serve sausage with peppers and onions with your favorite side dish or toasted rolls.
Italian Sausage & Peppers Recipe | How to Grill Italian Sausage Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight
Grilled Sausage and Peppers 🔗
Serve these grilled sausage and peppers in a roll or on a platter. It’s an easy summer dinner the whole family will love.
- 3 multi-colored bell peppers
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lb. mild or hot Italian sausage or bratwurst
- Toasted rolls, for serving
- Cut the sides off of the bell peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Cut the bell peppers into 1-inch wide strips.
- Quarter the onion by cutting through the root end, then cutting each quarter in half, lengthwise. Trim the root end from the onion wedges and break apart the pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- For the grill: Heat a grill over medium heat (about 375˚). Oil the grill grates well. Place the sausages on one side of the grill and a grill basket on the other. Add the onions and peppers to the grill basket in a single layer. Cover and cook until the sausages have grill marks on one side and the peppers and onions are slightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn the sausages and give the onions and peppers a stir. Cover and cook until the sausages internal temperature reaches 160˚ and the peppers and onions are charred in spots and softened, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- For the stovetop: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place the sausages in a single layer, evenly spaced. Cover and cook until golden brown on one side, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip the sausages, cover and cook until the sausages internal temperature reaches 160˚, 5 to 7 minutes more. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the peppers and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until charred in spots and softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with toasted rolls, if desired.
What goes with grilled sausage and peppers?
I have a ton of suggestions for dishes that go great with sausage and peppers, including sauteed broccolini, mushroom risotto, cream cheese pasta, cucumber vinaigrette salad, dijon mustard brussel sprouts with bacon, dirty rice, and cajun fries.
Should you boil sausage before grilling?
What To Serve With Italian Sausage And PeppersZucchini Casserole, Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Rice, Homemade Hoagie Rolls, Tomato and Onion Salad, The Best Mashed Potatoes, Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese, Sauteed Broccoli Rabe. Image Source: www.loveandlemons.com.
What do you put in Italian sausage and peppers?
Fresh Sausage Cover with water and par-boil for 10 to 15 minutes, or grill slowly over coals, turning frequently, until the sausage is grey-brown all over. After par-boiling, the sausage can be fried until nicely browned.