With a delicious Cajun seasoning blend seared into a crispy, spicy crust, the textures and flavors are simply out of this world. Blackened Mahi Mahi is a savory seafood dish that you can whip up in less than 15 minutes.
Mahi mahi, a flaky Hawaiian fish that is incredibly nutritious and rich in lean protein and vitamins, is a great meal any day of the week.
Mahi mahi is very quick to prepare, but you should be aware that it can be quite smokey, so make sure your kitchen is well ventilated while you cook.
Serve with lemon slices on a bed of fluffy white rice or with crisp or roasted vegetables.This dish has a great level of heat and spice, with the Cajun spice blend forming a delicious blackened crust.
I highly recommend giving this seasoning blend a try with more of your favorite seafood dishes, especially my pan seared ahi tuna and shrimp, which taste amazing with it.
For Marylanders who can’t get enough of that Old Bay flavor, I also have the perfect solution: my Old Bay Substitute!
Blackened Mahi Mahi and Spicy Grilled Pineapple Recipes
Blackened Grilled Mahi Mahi with Fruit Salsa Recipe 🔗
How about we spice up this basic grilled fish by doing it Cajun blackened style. Mahi Mahi is pretty meaty, but not overpowering in flavor, so it should take well to the extra punch of herbs and spices.
- 3 pineapple rings, approximately 1/2” thick
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2″ rings
- 2 small jalapeno peppers
- 1 Small cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 (6 ounce) fish filets, patted dry
- 2 TBS paprika
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- 1 TBS dried thyme
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking)
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Make sure your grill is still hot.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients, then coat the fish filets generously with it on all sides.
- Brush the grill plates with EVOO. Grill the fish with the top closed for 3 to 5 minutes or until the spices and herbs start to darken. It is ok if they form a black crust.
- Serve the blackened fish with a healthy spoonful of salsa on top.
What flavors go well with mahi mahi?
Mahi Mahi Fillets should be brushed with olive oil on both sides, seasoned on both sides, and grilled for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden. Lemon juice should then be drizzled over the fish.
How does Gordon Ramsay cook mahi mahi?
When considering what to serve with Mahi Mahi, keep in mind herbs and seasonings like garlic powder, pepper, dried thyme, parsley, onion powder, and paprika. Zesty and sweet fruits and vegetables will also liven up whitefish like mahi-mahi.