Make baked potatoes on the grill if you need a side dish. Brush them with butter, season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then grill them. The result is seasoned, crispy potato skins with fluffy interiors.
Don’t you think that cheesy potatoes on the grill with bacon, yes bacon, or perfectly fluffy and light smoked baked potatoes are the epitome of comfort food?
Now I’m grilling baked potatoes that are everything a baked potato should be: they have BUTTER, garlic, salt, and pepper, are incredibly simple to make, and only take 30 minutes. Throw them on the grill while your main dish is cooking, and you’ll have a full meal in no time at all!
Even though I don’t particularly enjoy baked potatoes, I will be adding these to my grilling rotation because the inside of these baked potatoes is perfectly light and fluffy and the skin is delicious with the butter and seasonings on it.
AMAZING Baked Potatoes on the Grill!! | How To
Grilled Baked Potatoes 🔗
Grilled baked potatoes aren’t just easy, they’re infused with delicious, smoky flavor.
- 4 russet potatoes (about 8 oz. each), scrubbed well and patted dry
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Crumbled cooked bacon, for garnish
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Sliced chives, for garnish
- Heat grill to 350º. Prick potatoes on all sides with a fork.
- Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on medium power for 8 minutes. Let cool 1 minute, then rub the skins with oil and season with salt.
- Wrap each potato separately in aluminum foil. Pierce the foil several times with a fork, then place on the grill. Close grill and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until you can easily insert a fork through the foil into the center of a potato.
- Remove potatoes from grill and let cool 2 minutes. Open packets and make a 3” deep vertical slice in the top of each potato. Use a spoon to widen the indentation. Top with cheese and other desired toppings, then serve.
How do I make baked potatoes on the grill?
Each potato should be individually wrapped in two layers of foil, making sure there are no exposed spots. Place potatoes directly on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the potatoes comes out clean.
How long does it take to cook potatoes on the grill?
Brush the potatoes with melted butter (or olive oil) and wrap them in foil. Prick the potatoes all over before and after you place them in the foil. Grill the potatoes for 30 minutes, then flip them over and grill for another 20 to 30 minutes.
How long does it take for baked potatoes on the barbecue?
When preparing potatoes for grilling, rub them with olive oil and generously sprinkle them with salt (I use about 1 tablespoon oil for 4 Russet potatoes), then wrap each one in aluminum foil and pierce them with a fork to let the smoky flavors permeate the potatoes.