Beef chuck roast is seasoned with a straightforward dry rub and grilled with hardwood smoke for a delicious family meal in this recipe for How to Grill Chuck Roast.
For a quick weeknight meal, we enjoy grilling chuck roast with garlic butter baked potatoes. The leftovers also make a great roast beef sandwich with homemade horseradish sauce on top.
- Marinate the chuck roast overnight. …
- Season the chuck roast. …
- Sear the chuck roast on both sides to get grill marks and form a crust.
- Grill on lower, indirect heat until the chuck roast steak reaches your desired doneness. …
- Let it rest under a piece of aluminum foil or butcher paper before slicing.
How to Cook a Chuck Roast on the Weber Kettle~Grilled Chuck Roast
Grilled Chuck Roast 🔗
Grilled chuck roast is infused with flavor thanks to a garlicky balsamic marinade. Serve it all year round with classic side dishes, or slice for sandwiches.
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (2-lb.) chuck roast, about 1 1/2″ thick
- Flaky sea salt
- In a large bowl or baking dish, whisk vinegar, oil, garlic, 1 tbsp. kosher salt, and 1 tbsp. black pepper. Add chuck roast and turn to coat. Refrigerate, turning meat halfway through, at least 12 hours or up to 24.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Grill chuck roast, turning every 5 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 135° for rare, 140° for medium-rare, and 145° for medium, 20 to 30 minutes total.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board and tent with foil; let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain; season with sea salt.
Is it possible to grill a chuck roast?
We love to grill chuck roast for an effortless weeknight meal with garlic butter baked potatoes and the leftovers make a great roast beef sandwich topped with homemade horseradish sauce.
Is beef chuck good for grilling?
Chuck steak can be cooked to perfection on the grill just like any other steak, but to get the most flavor out of your meat, it’s best to marinate it for at least a few hours before cooking.
Which cooking method is best for a chuck roast?
Because it breaks down the fat into juicy, tender pieces, braising is the best method for tenderizing chuck roast.
Can you grill a roast like a steak?
You can sear the outside of a roast like you would a steak and cook the rest of the roast over medium heat until cooked to your preferred doneness level, but beef roasts are much thicker than steaks and take more time to cook, especially on the grill.