Here is the best homemade pickle recipe that doesn’t require canning and is very similar to the pickle served at Ted’s Montana Grill. Simply combine all the ingredients in a jar and store it in the fridge for at least 4 days.
In this recipe, we are using salted water instead of vinegar to soak the ingredients, and the seasoning gives the pickle the right smell and delicious flavor. Kirby cucumbers are thought to be the best for pickles.
If you don’t have a mortar or pestle, you can crush the dry ingredients with a plastic bag and a rolling pin or a hammer; just make sure the water level is higher than the cucumbers.
With only a few simple ingredients, the half-sour pickles are incredibly popular and full of flavor; they go great on burgers and can be enjoyed as a snack. The pickles are ready to eat in just four days and can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks.
How to make Ted’s Montana Grill Pickles (knockoffs)
Ted’s Montana Grill Pickle Recipe 🔗
- 5 kirby cucumbers
- Few pieces of fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 6 cups water
- Additional whole coriander seeds and peppercorns
- Wash the cucumbers and put them into a half-gallon jar.
- Mix the sea salt in 6 cups of water until completely dissolved.
- In a mortar/pestle, grind coriander, mustard seeds,peppercorns, and 2 bay leaves.
- Put garlic in the jar and ground up spices. Pour enough salted water into the jar to cover the cucumbers.
- Add the fresh pieces of dill on top and additional coriander seeds, peppercorns and 1 bay leaf.
- The cucumbers should be covered with water completely.
- Close the jar and place it in the refrigerator for 4 days at least.
- The pickle is ready to enjoy.
What does soaking cucumbers in salt water do?
This salt treatment draws water out of the cucumbers and flavors them, so it’s critically important. Most recipes will instruct you to salt your sliced cucumbers and let them sit for about 3 hours (more is better).
What does soaking cucumbers in lime do?
If you choose to use lime, buy food-grade pickling lime from your grocery store’s shelves; do not use agricultural or burnt lime. Food-grade lime may be used as a lime-water solution for soaking fresh cucumbers 12 to 24 hours before pickling them because the calcium in lime does improve pickle firmness.
How long do you soak cucumbers in ice water before pickling?
This is a safer method for making crisp pickles, as using lime, or calcium hydroxide, in the solution for soaking cucumbers changes the amount of acid in the cucumber tissue. Soaking cucumbers in ice water for 4 to 5 hours before pickling helps ensure crisp pickles.
How long should cucumbers sit in brine?
Allow cucumbers to soak in brine for anywhere between 12 hours and 7 days in the refrigerator.