How to cook skate wing
Skate Wings with a Lemon Butter, Caper and Parsley Sauce 🔗
I am a real fan of seafood, especially on a BBQ. These Skate Wings were so meaty and tasted great especially with the Lemon Butter, Caper and Parsley sauce.
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 450 g Skate Wing ((cut in two))
- 1 tbsp Dill Tops
- 50 g Butter
- 2 tbsp Capers
- Handful Parsley Leaves ((chopped))
- 1 Lemon ((juiced))
- Start by preparing your BBQ by setting it up for indirect cooking and get the temperature up to 180-200°C. I also added an cherrywood chunk to generate some extra smoke.
- Mix the flour with the dill tops and then lightly dust your ray wings in the flour and dill mix.
- Place your ray wings on the indirect area of the BBQ and cook for around 6 minutes each side. You may need to do them for a little longer depending on the thickness of the Skate Wings. You know they are ready when the internal temperature should be around 63°C.
- After you have turned the wings for the first time, start making the sauce. In a cast-iron pan melt the butter and then add the capers and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the lemon juice and parsley and cook over a low to medium heat constantly stirring.Alternatively, you can do this inside in a saucepan.
- Remove your ray wings from the BBQ and plate up. Take your sauce and spoon over the ray wings to finish them off.
What skate fish taste like?
It is safe to say that the fish tastes good, and people enjoy it, but it is not overly popular due to its conservation status because only the “wings” of the skate fish are meaty and edible, while the main body and tail are not. You can order them off a restaurant menu, especially in French restaurants or unique seafood places.
What is a meat called skate?
It is very smooth and needs acid, such as lemon, capers, and white wine, to accentuate its flaky, crabmeat-like texture, which tastes like a succulent white fish with a nutty flavor similar to crab.