This easy-to-follow Traeger Prime Rib recipe promises BIG flavor and yields the moistest, most flavorful prime rib you’ll ever have the pleasure of sinking your teeth into. Serve the prime rib with Chipotle Smoked Mac and Cheese or Traeger Smoked Potatoes if you’re looking for a flavor-packed Traeger Smoked Prime Rib recipe.
As luck would have it, prime rib is one of the most expensive cuts of beef, so you HAVE to get the recipe right or you’ll waste hundreds of dollars, am I right? No worries, I’ve got you covered with this foolproof Traeger Prime Rib recipe. But who’s the fool here?
Traeger Prime Rib Roast Recipe | Traeger Grills
Traeger Prime Rib Roast 🔗
Prime Rib on the Traeger is another must try. Like most things cooked on the T, it takes it to the next level. If you’ve cooked a prime rib roast before, then this will be a breeze.
Serving Size: 1
Nutrition Facts: calories 721 calories, Carbohydrate 3 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 207 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 60 grams fat, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 43 grams protein, Saturated Fat 18 grams saturated fat, servingSize 1, Sodium 2450 milligrams sodium, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Trans Fat 0 grams trans fat, unSaturated Fat 27 grams unsaturated fat
- 5 pound boneless rib roast
- 4 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cup beef broth
- Take the roast out of your fridge at least an hour before cooking. Preheat your Traeger to 250°.
- Mix the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic, and rosemary in a bowl and mix it all together with a spoon to create your rub. Coat your entire rib roast with the rub. Make sure to use it all. After the rib roast is coated, set it aside.
- Next, combine the onions, carrots, and celery in the bottom of a 9″ X 13″ high sided cake pan. Place the rib roast on top of the vegetables in the cake pan.
- Put the pan with the roast in it onto the center of your pre-heated Traeger. Cook at 250° for one hour.
- After one hour, pour the two cups of beef broth into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Turn your Traeger up high and let it cook until the internal temperature reaches 120°.
- Pull the roast off of the grill when it hits 120° and let it rest for twenty minutes before slicing.
- Pour the juices from the bottom of the pan through a strainer, skim the fat off of the top, and use the remaining juice for your au jus.
How long does it take to cook a prime rib in a Traeger?
The prime rib should be placed directly on the grill grate, fat side up, and smoked for 3-1/2 to 4 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 125°F to 130°F for rare, or 135°F for medium-rare.
How long does prime rib take to cook pellet grill?
When your grill or smoker reaches 250 degrees F, place the prime rib roast directly on the grill grate, bone side down. Once your grill is hot, close the lid and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 125 to 130 degrees F.
Do you wrap prime rib in foil when smoking?
Once the roast is approaching the target temperature, wrap it in aluminum foil and let it finish out in the smoker.Be sure to calculate correctly.Your roast will rise in internal temperature by 5 degrees Fahrenheit once you remove it from the smoker.
How long does a prime rib take to smoke at 225?
Plan 35 minutes per pound at 225 degrees F for a rare roast and 40 minutes per pound at 225 degrees F for a medium roast. Remember to allow at least 30 minutes for resting and an additional 15 to 20 minutes for a high heat sear before serving.