The ultimate pesto grilled cheese has ooey mozzarella, fresh basil pesto, crispy bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Today we’re savoring the underappreciated flavor combination of pesto and cheese in all its splendor.
How to make Dunkin’s ROASTED TOMATO PESTO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH -But BETTER! Dunkin Copycat Recipe
The Ultimate Pesto Grilled Cheese 🔗
Gooey mozzarella, fresh basil pesto, crispy bacon and sun dried tomatoes – this truly is the ULTIMATE Pesto Grilled Cheese!
Serving Size: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: calories 637 kcal, Carbohydrate 24.91 g, Protein 30.02 g, Fat 46.56 g, Saturated Fat 17.315 g, Trans Fat 0.011 g, Cholesterol 87 mg, Sodium 1102 mg, Fiber 1.7 g, Sugar 5.08 g, unSaturated Fat 16.327 g, servingSize 1 serving
- 8 small but thick slices of Sourdough Bread
- 3x 4.5oz/125g balls of Fresh Mozzarella, (thinly sliced & patted dry)
- 8 Sun Dried Tomatoes, (patted dry and diced)
- 4 slices of Bacon, (cooked & diced)
- 4 heaped tbsp Pesto
- Butter, (as needed)
- Place two slices of bread in the frying pan (or 4 if your pan is large enough) with the heat OFF. Spread with butter, then flip so they are butter side down.
- Top with 3-4 thin slices mozzarella, followed by 1 heaped tbsp pesto, topped with sun dried tomatoes and bacon, followed by another layer of mozzarella then finish with another slices of bread.
- Squish down with your hands to contain the filling, then spread with butter.
- Turn heat to a medium and fry both sides until golden with the cheese melted through the centre.
Does pesto go well with cheese?
Mozzarella is your best option because it pairs well with pesto and has a mild flavor that lets the pesto flavor stand out. I highly recommend fresh mozzarella, but shredded mozzarella will also work in this situation.
What can you add to a grilled cheese to make it taste better?
“Any jam, any chutney, even dijon mustard, almost any condiment will lend itself to a grilled cheese sandwich,” Werlin said. “Adding ingredients like chutney, pepper jelly, tomato jam, or bacon jam can totally change the flavor profile.”
What cheese is best in pesto?
Basil pesto recipes frequently call for pine nuts, but you can easily substitute walnuts. Most pesto recipes call for Parmesan cheese; we frequently use Romano because it has a stronger flavor.